Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Biketoberfest?
Maybe I'm not the most original blogger out there with what I post, but my month of October has been lots of fun so far and is maybe worth mentioning. You see things about Octoberfest (where copious amounts of beer and food consumed) celebrations all over Wisconsin this month and the closest I've ever come to any of these celebrations has been what I'm calling "Biketoberfest" that is our new Tuesday night gathering of friends to ride cross or mtb's on the Tomorrow River Rail Trail from Plover towards its ending point in Manawa and back to Plover. Once I get to October it has been a struggle over the past 12-13 years to make it to the first weekend in November for my end of the season IceMan Cometh race in what I call respectable race shape. When you look forward to a ride this late in the season you know you're still having fun on your bike after ten months of riding through snow, rain, high winds and a few blazing hot days of summer. Last nights ride under a moon that's nearly full was relaxing and the miles clicked off quickly with conversation and a handful of good hard pulls every once in a while. Even with a flat front tire that I was too lazy to fix in Amherst Jct, I was still able to cruise along on the granite trail on a tire that barely clung to the rim over the last ten miles to the finish of the ride. My celebration of a great night concluded after I got home with dinner and a much deserved New Belgium Hoptober beer. Does riding a bike get much better? Pedal on...

No comments: