Thursday, May 13, 2010

If not Snow, it's Raining...
Still looking at a creative way to get my ride in today with family doctor appointments and my late night at work.  It may be a split session before and after today with the over/under workout that needs to be taken care of to keep the old engine competitive.  I think that these last two weeks of less time on the bike has been a refreshing change at this point in the early season, but it was mainly due to being sick with the family stomach flu epidemic and some normal chaos on the home front. 

Onto the bike/race scene it looks like I'll be on the 29er again at Rhinelander for round #2 of WORS unless I get my Epic rebuilt from the resulting parts destruction that took place at the Cohutta 100 a few weeks ago.  Surgery has required new shift cables/housing, bottom bracket and headset bearings along with both brake rotors and pads sets.  Quite the ordeal with parts and pieces scattered throughout my shop and a little guys that will drag just about anything off to other parts of the house. 

After reading too many mountain bike mags lately with all their 29er propaganda, and some talking up 650B wheels,  I have got to admit that the 29er is starting to feel more natural on the trails I've ridden on so far with much more evaluation time needed.  Going back to the hardtail has been one of the biggest hurdle as I need to frequently remind myself to get my old ass up off the saddle to stand while letting my body flow with the bike over rougher terrain.  I've been seated for so long on my full suspension bikes that it's been one of my biggest issues that I still haven't totally figured out yet until my back gets hammered and the warning alarm goes off in my head.  The new 2010 Specialized geometry and carbon lay-up has made a huge difference for Specialized since I've owned(still have) a first generation Specialized 29er from 2008.  Carving tight single track, accelerating, climbing and descending is all done with lots of confidence.  I still believe that there's a place and time for both the 26er and 29er on the trail and racecourse if you can have both depending on the situation that's presented on any given day of riding or racing.  If I told you that one was better than the other, I would be feeding you some pretty good crap for dinner.  Different scenarios bring different outcomes.  You'll either find yourself on the 26er or 29er side, or right in the middle like I am.  Choose your bike of choice wisely!  Pedal on...

No comments: