Sunday, August 23, 2009

On Any Sunday
It's always tough to decide on where to ride on a non-race weekend. Today I need to get some time in on my mountain bike and it needs to be done close to home with Standing Rocks being the destination of choice if the trails open today. I'll give the county employees another couple of hours to get their butts out to check the trail condition which should be good to go if they realize that it last rained hard on Friday and even with a very low chance of light rain last night they should be open. We needed rain and what we got should have helped trail conditions, not hurt them.

With four straight weekends of racing on the horizon starting with the WORS Reforestation Ramble next Sunday, I need to get whatever ails me out of my system before the Chequamegon FatTire 40 on September 19th. The Ramble will have me mount the Schwalbe Furious Fred tires up to see if any speed advantage can be had from these light weight treads to help this aging racer. I also tried to get WORS(Big D) to extend the Ramble marathon race to what the true mtb marathon race distance should be(100k), but he expressed concerns about getting home too late in the evening if it were to go a longer distance. Maybe next year...

Dangerous thoughts of new mountain bikes for next year are already haunting me. The new carbon framed 29er Stumpjumper hardtails have caught my interest. Again, do I really need another bike...probably not, but there are worse hobbies I could be caught up in. Pedal on...

No comments: