Tuesday, April 21, 2009

False Start Week



I'm off to a false start this week with Monday being erased after spending yesterday home with a sick child. In no way was it a rest day as I tried to comfort my little guy for a better part of the day before backup arrived just before dinner time. he looks to be out of commission for today also with mommy taken the hand off and staying home with a possible doctors visit in the plan.

The picture above is from the Heartland Bike Club Spring Classic Training ride appropriately named Amherst Gold after the weekends real Euro Classic Amstel Gold. Again, not a big turnout because of the weather, but with the right people it doesn't matter how big the peloton turns out to be. The route was scenic and had its share of challenges. It turned out that we might have had a few rain drops right at the end of the 67 miles in what has turned out to be normal classic weather this Spring that saw a cool to damp 41 degree temp for the entire ride.

On Monday I made it official when I emailed Guitar Ted that I was pulling myself off the roster of the upcoming Trans Iowa v5 gravel grinder. No unmaintained "B" gravel roads of Iowa for this cyclist who is still fighting with a shoulder issue from a fall in March. If it had started in Decorah again this year I had thrown around the idea of volunteering for the weekend, but instead Mark and I will be traveling back to Michigan to pick up a vintage motocross bike to restore, visit our parents and I will try riding my new mountain bike at a few state parks. A BIG thanks needs to go out to Guitar Ted for all his time and effort that he always puts into Trans Iowa. What he and Jeff Kerkove started five years ago is truly an epic event with the people behind the scenes and the participants if you ever need to challenge yourself to 330ish miles on gravel in Iowa self-supported. Pedal on...

3 comments:

Charly Tri said...

Too bad about TI, I figured you and I maybe riding together for some portion of that. I feel your pain as a knee injury took me out last year. It is all cyclical, we all heal.

EXPO Racing said...

We will miss ya at TI. hope it heals fast.

Endurosnob said...

That's a downer. Get well.