Tuesday, December 02, 2008


Cold Commute Today?
This morning it's a brisk 9 degrees outside as I'm working on trying to commute everyday to work while being safe on the bike. The hardest part for me is spending the extra time getting dressed. My commute kit consists of my Craft Storm pants, bib cycling shorts, wool socks, Lake Winter cycling shoes, Craft long sleeve base layer, a Craft Thermal Windstopper jacket, lobster mitts for my paws, a balaclava or skullcap for my head, my helmet outfitted with a NiteRider mini-USB Plus light mounted on top of it along with a Planetbike SuperFlash tail light to make me visible from the behind and Specialized Adaptalite glasses that work in the morning and when I'm riding home in the dark. For my commute the mileage each way can vary from 5 to 10 miles on average depending on whether or not I get sidetracked and want to get more time in. Yesterday was interesting with the first snow of the season that fell on Sunday night. My normal route includes a mix of granite trails, neighborhood streets, asphalt bike paths and a field that I cross after making my way under I-39. The underpass that takes me under I-39 is only partially completed with the work being finished directly under the highway while leaving frozen and rutted tire tracks through the open field as I head southeast into the business park. Traction was at a premium until the end of my ride when I reached the Hostel Shoppe's parking lot that was ice covered. Until I get my older cross bike fitted with fenders I'll probably just ride my rigid single-speed Bianchi. The 32x16 gearing isn't always the best on the streets, but it works good on the island single-track and in December I'm not too worried about breaking any records riding to work or back home. If you're out commuting, stay warm and be safe. Pedal on...




The partially completed I-39 Heartland Trail underpass.

3 comments:

TOM_Bender said...

BAR MITTS will be in this week!

Scott Cole said...

Just in time for Old Man Winter! Thanks Tom!

Ash said...

I'm jealous that they're getting that underpass finished now. Commuting in La Crosse is turning out terribly... my 700x30c panaracer cyclocrosses aren't holding up that well. I give you major props for keeping on!