Thursday, March 04, 2010

S.O.S.
Yesterday was a day where I probably should have just stayed in bed.  A crazy early morning with getting everybody out of bed and ready for the day started the downward spiral.  Out the door later than usual for my chilly morning ride seemed to still be good until an hour into the ride I noticed a soft rear tire.  At first I didn't really stress out about it as the culprit was discovered(puncture by a jagged piece of road salt) and the bad tube was removed with ease along with the cause of the flat.  Things only got worse when my one CO2 cartridge didn't want to cooperate and nothing went into the tube, but all over my hand.  A very cold malfunction to deal with when the outside temp was only 12d F when my ride started.  At this point I figured that my problem would be solved easily with my trusty cell phone, but to my amazement, it took six calls to locate somebody that could help me.  20 miles from home and 11 miles from work is not very comforting when on most days I see plenty of traffic until I have a mechanical issue and only see a total of three cars with one of those being my rescue vehicle.  Thanks to Ann and Scott from work for helping me to get to work on time with my breakdown.  It's time to dig out the old mini hand pump again so that I'm self-sufficient out on the road once again and I don't get stranded in a situation where a cell phone isn't always the answer.  Pedal on...

1 comment:

Mike said...

It's amazing how uprepared you get when you don't have bad luck for awhile. Glad you got some help at least!