Monday, September 07, 2009

Copper Harbor MTB Festival = Adventure 212 Domination

***read the Mining Gazette online article HERE

A great weekend for the Adventure 212 MTB team as we placed four of us men in the top seven overall of the long race(24 miles). Chris Peariso and Darrin Braun came across the finish line tied for 1st along with Todd McFadden in 3rd and with me slowly riding in on my rear rim in 7th after slicing my rear tire on the rocky Paul's Plunge just over a mile from the finish. On the female side of the team, Michelle Peariso was 2nd overall in the short race(14 miles) and Diana McFadden ran away with the female long race overall. With the tire cutting rocky plunge I lost two positions and a good chunk of time trying to run/jog with my bike out of the root covered trail before riding downhill on a section of fast (slow & twitchy for me) pavement to the final grassy loop around the lake trying to somehow make it to the finish line. Someday I owe Jesse Bell who's from Ishpeming, MI a racing favor as he caught me at the line, but had mercy on this old man and didn't blow by me as I struggled to the finish line. Even with a mechanical, this is a weekend festival that's one of the best events that I've participated in my many years of racing. If you get a chance, sign up for this event next year or make it a long weekend destination and checkout the amazing singletrack that the Copper Harbor, Calumet and Houghton areas have to offer. Pedal on...


Photos below are from our Labor Day morning recovery ride on some amazing trails.







The only bad part about my weekend...

No comments: