Sunday, March 29, 2009

From 20 Speeds to only 1

As one of the ride hosts I had hoped that the weather might have kept everyone away this morning, but a total of six hardcore crazed cyclists showed up this morning for the 1st Annual Frozen version of the Milano San Rapids Spring Classic training ride. The first 30 miles were the worst with sketchy iced/snow covered road conditions and a five mile stretch with wind gusts from 20 to 30 mph as we headed into the Hell of a North wind. About 20 miles in my rear brake was frozen to the point where I thought I had broke it once the lever finally moved. At that same time I was relegated to my 36 x 14 gear combo because of the iced up cables and derailleurs. In the last ten miles with the hardest miles of the route behind us, it seemed like a heat wave was upon us with the sun out and the local bank in Rudolph showing 27 degrees on its sign. At the beginning I had my doubts about riding and even getting out this morning, but in the end it was a good group effort with the challenging conditions out on the roads with Dan, Barry, Tim and Phil.


No comments: