Friday, November 14, 2008

A Normal Life
I've come to the conclusion that I'm not the type of person who can be off my bike even for a short period of inactivity. This week of rest, or as some would call it a transitional week to the start of next season has been torture for me. I'm sleeping in later every morning, watching more TV, DVD movies, and even the PlayStation has come back to life. Instead of my usual morning riding routine, I've had the broom and dust pan out looking for anything that could be swept up off the kitchen floor before the kids were up yesterday along with throwing away useless items throughout the house. Cross training in the kitchen is not all that it's cut out to be. It's more dangerous than bike racing for me with many chances to burn myself at the stove or from the hot steam when you open the dishwasher too soon, hit your head on the fan above the stove, fall down on a freshly mopped floor, or to get blinded by spraying yourself in the face with water while rinsing off pans. The one good thing about sampling the normal life is that it makes you appreciate being able to get out and ride your bike for fun or as a competitor. I also feel like I have more energy to run around with the kids in and out of the house when cycling. Without cycling my life would be a train wreck waiting to happen. Tomorrow it's time to pedal again.

No comments: