Saturday, October 04, 2008

Time to Dress for Fall Riding
These last few mornings and late afternoon rides have been a surprisingly cool slap in the face to me as the temps have been between 27 - 55 degrees. I've forgotten that it takes longer to get out the door in the mornings as I'm always trying to guess what layers of clothing I'll need from the start to the end of my rides. This week it's been bib knickers, a short sleeve base layer along with a long sleeve wool jersey. On the most sensitive areas I've been wearing Specialized Deflect gloves on my paws along with a skull cap to cover my ears or my favorite Twin 6 Walz cycling cap. My feet have been fine with wool socks when wearing my road or mtb shoes plus an occasional sandwich baggy(non zip lock) thrown over my socks(toe area) before putting on my shoes which adds another wind blocker. In the next few months I'll bring out the severe weather clothing that includes a Craft ProWarm base layer, Craft Thermal Windstopper jacket, Craft Storm tights, lobster mitts, balaclava and Lake Winter cycling shoes with Smartwool socks. For eye protection, I always grab a pair of my Specialized glasses that have adaptalite lenses to keep my vision clear, eyes from watering and they work well on my dark commute home through the park or on the roads. This morning it's off to work on my 29"er as I explore the new underpass to see what progress has been made. Pedal on...
Something new for the Winter riding arsenal?

No comments: