Sunday, August 17, 2008

Weekend Summary
It was good to have a down weekend without work and/or racing. Saturday I met up with Don (Mr WORS) and Matt Prax to head South on our road bikes in search of any cyclists who were riding North as participants in the Brewery to Brewery ride from Madison to Point. Eventually we came across a pack of five and turned around to join them for a few miles before the last rest stop. From the rest stop we left with one other cyclist who eventually dropped off the pace as we pedaled on to hit the century mark for the day and rewarded ourselves with smoothies and cookies at Emy J's where we started the ride from. Later in the afternoon I got everyone loaded in the family wagon for a drive and walk on the riverfront to see the historic lowering of the Wisconsin River as dams are being repaired. It's amazing what the river bottom can reveal from what people feel that they can dump into it.



Saturday night I finally made contact with my good friend Steve Elmer who's in town from Salt Lake City and we got out for a good two hour road ride this morning East of Point. Steve has helped me many times over the years as my main pit boss in 24 hour races here in Wisconsin and at the 2006 world's in Conyers Georgia. Someday I'm going to return the favor and get him through another solo 24 as he slowly recovers from past knee injuries. Watch for Steve at the Birkie in February 09 as he starts in the Elite wave and skate skis himself to a top 100 finish. My afternoon basically amounted to family time, the Olympics, napping and probably too much food. With almost eight hours of saddle time I feel no guilt for consuming any edible item that's within reach. Pedal on...

No comments: