Saturday, April 28, 2007

Game Over-Did Not Finish
Trans Iowa V3 ended for me today after 165 miles and 13 hours on the bike. I am mostly disappointed with this result since my training had gone well for this challenging and unique event and I was mentally ready to go the distance. My Achilles tendon that I've had issues with in the past started bothering me around the 110 mile mark. After trying to spin more along with taking some healthy doses of Motrin with no results, I made a tough decision and called it a day to save the rest of my season. I ran as high as third in the chase group of five today and when I dropped out I was still in the top ten. My overall conditioning and mental state were great today even though some of you might disagree with my mental state because of the events that I put my body through. Thanks again to all the people who support me as an endurance athlete and to all my sponsors.

6 comments:

mdcmoto said...

You went 12 hours longer than most people can ride. Bigger fish to fry later on. Good decision.

SquidBuzz said...

Sorry to hear about your dnf. But, how did your planning go otherwise for the race? Did the bike work ok? What about that funky bag on your bike? Did that work out? Also, what type of backpack/hydration system did you wear?

Currently pondering on entering this race next year.

Jlundo said...

Good work buddy and smart thinking pulling out. It's too early in the season to go for it and instead of calling it a race, calling it a year. There will be plenty of time and plenty of victims. See ya at Iola.

WingNut said...

Smart choice! You train/work too hard to have it all on one race. Heal well and look forward to hearing more in '07!

Scott Cole said...

Squidbuzz-
Thanks. My planning for the TI and training were perfect for this event. Just a little part of the body that helps to make the pedals go around that made me call it a day. The bike was great for the dry conditions and if it was muddy I still would have gone with the Tricross. The funky Jannd frame back was one of my best items that I purchased. Next time I would probably consider a rear rack of some type as the weight of a hydration pack was quite uncomfortable at times.

gjc said...

hope your achilles heals quickly.

165 miles is indeed a lot more than most people even consider in a week.